-->

Monday, February 18, 2013

The Benefits of Reading to your Child

I don't have any children, but I am very lucky to see and spend lots of time with my 2.5 year old niece Gigi. Gigi is an avid lover of reading. When we're together that time is always spent reading books. This past weekend by brother dropped her off for a day. Bedtime routine that night was a lingering event. I told Gigi we'd read one book. "Read jungle story, Corca!" (Referring to me) So I read jungle story to her, then she continued to ask me to read her story after story. I'm sure I read at least 6 long stories. I just couldn't say no! I find joy in her excitement to learn from reading and I love and enjoy spending that one-on-one time with her. It's a win-win for us both!
Gigi's example of her love for reading has imprinted on me that it is important for children to begin developing joy from reading from day one. Gigi's high interest in reading sparked me to research the topic, The Benefits of Reading to your Child.
S
Gigi  (right) with cousin Amara and Grandpa
Reading to your child is an important time that can be mutually beneficial to gain a relationship, develop self-confidence and self-expression and learn literacy skills. Here is a list of benefits when you read to your child:
  1. Reading time is bonding time. This provides an opportunity to have personal interaction and communication that is playful and fun.
  2. Reading opens a door to a world of creative imagination. By using your imagination its useful to make sense of the world around you while stimilating creativity, confidence and wellbeing.
  3. Reading stimulates a child's development. Motor skils begins developing through turning pages and memory develops, especially if the story is requested to be read again.
  4. Reading prepares the brain for language development. Reading to your child in a fun, comfortable environment will promote their love and brain development which prepares them for future learning in school. 
I encourage you as the parent to make that effort to read to your children regularly. The results from your efforts will be rewarding! I have seen the rewards from reading with Gigi and they are priceless.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment