-->

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Flying with an infant

As summer approaches a lot of people are planning their summer vacations. The thought of traveling with an infant seems like a daunting task. I, myself am contemplating taking my baby in July to Seattle for a wedding. (My baby will be three months old in July). Flying is hard enough with all the security measures and the time just being in the airport and on the airplane without a baby, but with a baby?! It just does not sound very appealing to me. I found some great tips for flying with an infant! So you can continue to plan your vacation and hopefully these tips will help you!

1. Pack light. I know this is hard, and pretty impossible with a baby because you need so much. Diapers, blankets, burp cloths, PJs, clothes. But try your best to keep it to a minimum. On one of my trips, to my mom’s house, we decided to pack a few diapers but buy more there. Along with baby soap, and small sizes of things I could use while I was visiting. If your family is anything like mine, you’ll most likely be bringing more stuff home from your trip, so leave extra room in your suitcase if you can.
2. Only bring one carry-on. Yes, you’re entitled to one carry on and one extra bag or purse but I was sure to make it easy on myself and only carry on her diaper bag. One time my check in bag was over 50 pounds so I took my camera out to carry it on with me and forgot it on the plane when we got off. Luckily I realized this once I got to baggage claim and was able to ask the Delta people to page up there and have someone bring it down to me. An extra bag with a baby can be a lot to remember.
3. Wear your baby. This would be ranked number one in my books of things that make traveling with a baby easier. On 9/9 flights with my daughter I wore her in a wrap through the entire boarding process and most of the flight. On our most recent flight we were waiting in the airport for hours, and she just hung out in our Moby Wrap. I thought having a stroller would be a necessity but I’d argue that would only make things more difficult.
4. Look for signs that help you. In most of the airports we've been to there are separate lines for families through security checkout, so you can bypass the long wait. If you’re flying with a child under two they not only get to fly for free, but you get to get on the plane first (or right after first class, depending on the carrier).
5. Dress easy. That goes for you and your baby. Don’t put booties or shoes on your baby. At least not through security, unless you don’t mind taking them off, but it’s just an extra step they make you go through. Socks are ok, so I make sure she was wearing her Trumpettes on the rest of the flights after this happened. Also, don’t wear a belt you’ll have to take off at security, or shoes you’ll have to untie and tie again, or a big coat that will get in the way… You get the idea. If you’re flying alone with a baby these things that are normally simple to do are a HUGE PAIN!
6. Nurse, feed your baby or let him or her suck on something during takeoff and landing.But don’t freak out about it if they’re sleeping. You know how you yawn, chew gum, or swallow to pop your ears during the elevation changes? Same concept. My daughter was asleep during our first six flights however, so I let her sleep, and she didn’t seem to be affected. If she was awake, I nursed her, and she did ok with the pressure changes.
Information found here and photo

No comments:

Post a Comment